Walchand College of
Engineering is situated midway between Sangli and Miraj
cities at Vishrambag, Sangli. The WCE campus is located on
about 90 acres of land on southern side of Sangli – Miraj
In 1947, the college made a modest
beginning as New Engineering College,
with a single program leading to B.E.
(Civil) degree. In the year 1955, the
College was renamed as Walchand
College of Engineering as part of the
new arrangements and pursuant to the
Rehabilitation and Development Program
mainly funded by Seth Walchand
Hirachand Memorial Trust and the
Government. The Government appointed
an Ad Hoc Committee for conducting the
college from May 1955, later replaced
by the Administrative Council in 1956.
The Ad Hoc Committee added two more
degree programs in B.E. (Mechanical)
and B.E. (Electrical) in 1955 with the
intake of 20 each. Three Diploma
programs also started in 1955 – Civil
(40 intake), Mechanical (20) and
Graduate programs in Civil, Mechanical and Electrical
Engineering and Diploma program in Industrial Electronics
were introduced in 1971. In 1986 the UG and PG programs in
Electronics Engineering and UG program in Computer Science
and Engineering were introduced.
program in CSE was introduced in 1997. In 2001, added B.E.
program in Information Technology with an intake of 60
students. An additional intake of 30 students was also
sanctioned for Computer Science & Engineering program,
resulting in total intake of 390 students for all branches
at UG level and 106 at PG level. As part of strategic
planning, PG section is being strengthened and PG intake
has now steadily risen to 240 across 10 programs. The
College has a QIP scheme for full-time doctoral programs
and also offers Ph. D. programs of Shivaji University in
various branches of engineering.
Walchand College of Engineering became autonomous in
2007. The college revamped its academic structure and
contents, in consultation with few US and IIT academic
experts. Accordingly nomenclature of B.E and M.E
programs has been changed to B Tech and M Tech
programs. After completion of the first term of six
years, the College has now received extension of
autonomous status for the second term of six years
till 2019-20. It participated in the World Bank
funded, Government of India scheme, namely, Technical
Education Quality Improvement Program (TEQIP) in Phase
I from 2005-2009, wherein it stood all-India 2nd out
of 127 participating institutions in terms of program
impact performance. The college is presently
participating in Phase II of TEQIP with outstanding
produce capable graduate engineers with an aptitude
for research and leadership
Achieve excellence in learning and research through continual improvement in both content and delivery of the academic programmes.
Promote close interaction among industry, faculty and students to enrich the learning process and enhance career opportunities for students.
Develop state - of - the - art laboratories and other infrastructure commensurate with the need of delivering quality education and research services.
Strngthen the Institution through network of alumni and optimize use of resources by leveraging inter - departmental capabilities.
Provide opportunities and ensure regular skill. Up - gradation of faculty and staff through structured training programmes.
To impart quality education through demanding academic programmes.
To enhance career opportunities for students through exposure to industry.
To promote excellence by encouraging creativity, critical thinking and discipline.
To inculcate sensitivity toward society and a respect for the environment.
|QUALITY POLICY :
To strive for excellence in academic and research programmes in order to achieve proficiency in students by adopting continually improving standards to the learning process.
Shri. Ajit Gulabchand